When first adopting a paleo diet, breakfast tends to be the hardest meal. Lunch? Chicken and salad....
Gluten-Free Zucchini Slice
My recipe for zucchini slice is one of my most popular recipes. It’s grain-free and gluten-free, sugar-free, can be adjusted to be dairy-free and paleo, and – most importantly – it's so delicious that you’ll want to eat it all in one go.
It’s also insanely easy to make, includes tons of veggies, and is good at any time of the day. I serve it in large slices for lunch or dinner with a side salad, or have small slices on its own for breakfast.
Best gluten-free zucchini slice recipe
Makes 12 serves
2 large zucchinis, peeled and grated, water squeezed out
2 carrots, peeled and grated
4-6 slices (100-150g) ham or bacon (*see notes), chopped
3-4 spring onions or 1 small brown onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups almond meal
Optional: 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix everything well.
- Grease or line a large baking dish with baking paper and evenly spread mixture into it.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until slightly browned on top.
- When cooked, rest until cooled and slice into squares.
- To make this recipe dairy-free and paleo, leave out the cheese.
- To make it vegetarian (or suitable for things like picnics or travelling when you don’t have access to a fridge and need food that will keep well for several hours), leave out the bacon/ham.
- Experiment with adding whatever ingredients are in your fridge or pantry – I love chopped leek, spinach, fresh herbs and pine nuts.
- If the mixture feels too wet, add another 1/2 cup of almond meal. If it feels too dry, add another egg.
- Store in the fridge in a container lined with paper towel to absorb any moisture. If it includes ham/bacon, up to 4 days is good. If without, 5-6.
- Most conventional ham/bacon has lots of added nasties. I use nitrate-free, gluten-free, sugar-free bacon (yep – most bacon has added sugar!) from my local butcher.
If you give it a go, post it on Instagram & tag me @jenna.westphal #jennawestphal so I can see how you went!