This weekend I found myself craving lighter meals and lots of veggies. Part of this I put down to the fact I scoffed half a packet of chocolate digestive biscuits (my weakness) during the week, but also because of the weather. It’s finally warming in Scotland up after a seemingly endless winter (it was still snowing in April. APRIL!), and the days are lighter for longer. This means my meals have shifted to later in the evenings, so I’m after something lighter when eating just a few hours before bed.
This simple tomato and basil soup ticks all the boxes.
2 medium onions, diced
Dollop of coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, finely diced (or 2 teaspoons garlic paste)
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ bunch (approx. 1 cup) basil leaves
3 tins of diced tomatoes
1T tomato paste
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk
- Heat a large pot on medium heat, add coconut oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, basil and salt and pepper.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and stock.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for a few minutes then take off the heat to let cool.
- When cooled, blend thoroughly (with stick blender or transfer to a regular blender) and add coconut milk
- Top with basil leaves to serve.
- If you like things spicy, stir through a few sprinkles of chilli flakes before serving.