Avocado toast has become my new favourite breakfast.
For years I didn’t eat any grains, but in the past year I’ve added back some gluten-free ones like rice and quinoa to see how they go.
And since being pregnant – notably since morning sickness hit me full force at 6 weeks (I’m currently 19 weeks) – I’ve found gluten-free toast has been my saviour. I love it with peanut butter as a snack, but my favourite way to eat it is for breakfast with avocado.
I’ve also learned that Miranda Kerr – who’s also expecting – eats the exact same thing while pregnant (good choice, Miranda). This makes us kindred spirits, yes? Maybe we’ll run into each other back in Australia and we’ll discuss our love for avocadoes and our children will become best friends… oops, I’m on a tangent.
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 2 slices bread (this gluten-free one is the best I’ve found)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Spices to taste – I use approx. 1/8 teaspoon each of cumin and paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a fork, mash half an avocado in a small bowl.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper, and spices. Note: I don’t measure the spices, I just use the end of my fork to dig some out of the jar.
- Toast the bread then spread the mashed avocado evenly across each piece.
I make the basic version above on weekdays, but on the weekends when I have more time I usually mix it up by adding extra toppings. Here’s what I’m loving:
+ Crumbled feta or goats cheese + sunflower or pumpkin seeds
+ Smoked salmon (yes I’m still eating this while pregnant #rebel) + dill
+ Two fried or hard boiled eggs (sliced) + parsley
+ Sliced cherry tomatoes + basil
I hope you like it! If you give this a go, post a pic and tag me on Instagram @jenna.westphal and #jennawestphal so I can see how you went and give you a repost.