While most soups like this contain milk or dairy, my recipe is 100% vegan – and 100% delicious. (Is that gimmicky? Probably. But nonetheless. It’s damn tasty. And still creamy, despite having no cream!) Whaaaa? Yeah, I know.
It’s also super-duper easy – so make a big batch, freeze leftover portions, and enjoy.
VEGAN SWEET POTATO AND PUMPKIN SOUP
Makes 5 serves (1½ cups each)
1.5kg sweet potato and pumpkin (I use about 2/3 sweet potato, 1/3 pumpkin)
1 brown onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up vegies into 3cm chunks.
- Put in a large bowl and mix with coconut oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread onto a baking paper-lined tray and roast in the oven for 25-30mins at 180°C.
- Once the vegetables are soft, transfer to a large pot on a medium heat stove.
- Mix the garlic through, then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and let sit off the heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled, use a stick blender (easiest) or transfer to a blender/food processor then blend until smooth.
- Stir through coconut cream and enjoy!
- This soup is quite high is carbs (about 45g per serve) so if you eat low-carb, it’s perfect to have on days when you’re more active.
- To serve: add coriander, pumpkin seeds or even a dollop of sour cream if desired. (I desire.)