While most soups like this contain milk or dairy, this recipe is 100% vegan – and despite having no cream, it’s still so creamy! Whaaaa? Yeah, I know.
It’s also super-duper easy – so make a big batch, freeze leftover portions and enjoy for lunch or dinner.
VEGAN SWEET POTATO AND PUMPKIN SOUP
Makes 5 serves (1½ cups each)
1.5kg sweet potato and pumpkin, cut into large chunks (I use about 2/3 sweet potato and 1/3 pumpkin, but do whatever combination it easiest for you)
400ml coconut cream
1 brown onion, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 litre vegetable stock
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up vegies into large chunks and mix in a large bowl with coconut oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt and pepper.
- Spread onto a baking paper-lined tray and roast in the oven for 25-30mins at 180°C.
- Once soft, transfer sweet potato and pumpkin to a large pot on a medium heat stove.
- Mix the garlic through, then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and let sit off the heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled, use a stick blender (easiest) or transfer to a blender/food processor then blend until smooth.
- Stir through coconut cream and enjoy!
- This soup is quite high is carbs (about 45g per serve) so if you eat low-carb, it’s better to have on days when you’re more active.
- To serve: top with coriander, pumpkin seeds or even a dollop of coconut cream if desired. (I desire.)