When I want a light yet filling soup, this is my go-to recipe. I love all the vegetables and the tender chicken, and the slightly salty pancetta just takes it to the next level. Sometimes I’ll have a cup for breakfast (it’s a great way to start the day with lots of vegies) or two cups for lunch or dinner. It’s filling but doesn’t give you that sluggish, heavy feeling that other hearty soups do. In short, it’s a winner!
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE SOUP
Makes 5 serves (2 cups each)
500g chicken breast
3 stalks celery
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
1 brown onion
2 bay leaves
Ghee or coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Poach the chicken. (Put chicken and bay leaves into a pot and fill with water. Bring to the boil then take off the heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.)
- Once the chicken has cooled, shred or chop into small pieces and set aside.
- Meanwhile chop onion, celery and carrot.
- Heat a few tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add vegies and cook until mostly done (approx 10 minutes) then chop and add the zucchini and pancetta. Cook a further 5 minutes.
- Add stock and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil then stir through chicken and you’re done!
- Optional: serve with lime wedges and coriander.