This broccoli and turmeric soup ticks all the boxes: delicious, packed with vegies, full of good fats and very nourishing. It’s great for lunch or dinner and freezes well, so it’s nice to make a big batch then store the extra (in single-serve containers) in the freezer until you need them.
This week my younger sister had some dental work done (the poor little thing!) and is on a liquid-only diet for a few weeks. When I heard she was living on yoghurt and mashed potatoes, I offered to cook her some soup – isn’t homemade soup always so comforting? (Okay, and the big sister in me wanted to sneak some vegies into her diet. But to be fair, at her age (20) I was living off fast food and frozen meals so I’m not judging!)
I couldn’t decide on just one, so I decided to make three that I love. Below is my favourite – broccoli and turmeric – and the recipes for the others are at the bottom of this post.
It’s absolutely delicious – enjoy!
BROCCOLI AND TUMERIC SOUP
Makes 6 serves (1½ cups each)
2 large heads broccoli
1 head of cauliflower
1 brown onion
1 litre bone broth or chicken stock
Juice of half a lemon
2 teaspoons minced garlic
200ml coconut cream
Ghee or coconut oil
Salt and pepper
- Chop broccoli, cauliflower and onion into pieces.
- Heat a few tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add vegetables, garlic, a few big shakes of turmeric powder, and salt and pepper to taste then mix well.
- Cook everything until soft (approx 15 mins), with the lid on but stirring a few times.
- Once the vegies are soft, add the stock and lemon juice.
- Bring to the boil then let sit off the heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled, use a stick blender (easiest) or transfer to a blender/food processor then blend until smooth.
- Stir through coconut cream and enjoy!
- Feel free to play around with the vegetables in this recipe – eg. a leek instead of the onion tastes beautiful.
- Optional: serve with fresh herbs (eg. parsley or coriander) on top.
WHERE TO FROM HERE?
- This is my recipe for my sweet potato and pumpkin soup.
- Here’s my chicken and vegetable soup recipe.